Quick look to the past
The history of Koguva village can be followed from 1532 when the grandmaster of Livonia Walter von Plettenbenberg commanded in Koguva the area of peasant Hanskeniel´sdescendants and Koguva´s yeoman andt at the end of the 19th century there was already nine farms. Vanatoa is one of the oldest farms in Koguva. In 1645 the Hansken´s farm was divided into two. From that time it is possible to follow the history of Vanatoa, where the owner was man named Jürgen. In 1693 the farm was ruled by Jürgen´s son Wabaniko Hanss and the farm was known as Hanso-Antsu. In 1713-1756 after ploughland audit the farm was carrying the name of his owner Hanso Andrus. The next owner was a man maned Hanso Tõnis. He had two son – Ado (1730-1781)and Andrus (1741-1820). At the end of 18th century Ant´s farm was divided into two. Ado founded a new farm named Ants. Former Ants farm owner was his younger brother Andrus. His farm called Vanatoa. Both farms can be found from 1802 land division map- ants´s farm is named Hanso Ado and todays Vanatoa named Hanso Andrus. It this map there is also possible to find another farm Hanso Peeter. It seems to be a farm what in 18th century was spread from Ants – Vanatoa´s farm. Today this place is known as Peeter´s fence or Pärdi. Koguva Välja´s farm origins also from Ants- Vanatoa (formed in 19th century), when Hanso Peeter´s farm was perished.
Vanatoa´s farm was one of the richest farms is Muhu and Jaan Schmuul (1858-1939) was the one who laid this foundation During the foundation of the strait dam between Muhu and Saaremaa (1894-1896) Schmuul was it´s subcontractor. He helped to build the quarter of the dam´s length (the length was 1642 square cords).
Nowadays the oldest preserved buildings are the wooden wheel shed and barn. The wealth is also witnessed by otubuildings – in 1930 built limestone warehouse and the building next to the main gate. The warehouse had four rooms: sleeping shed (for summer workers), barn, shed for chests where sauna, dryer and summer kitchen. At the beginning of the collective farm it also had generator which gave daylight to Koguva village.
At the beginning of the 19th century Vanatoa´s people got the last name – Schmuul (later paper give Shmul). Vanatoa´s master was Jüri Shmul (1794-1848) but not one of his three sons weren´t able to reach to manhood. The workforce came from Koguva´s Andrus farm – Andrus Schmuul´s (1809-1885) family came to help. Andrus became the master of the farm after Jüri´s death. The next master was Andrus son Mihkel (1833-1909) then his son Jaan Schmuul (1858-1939) and after that Jaan´s son Jaan Schmuul (1884-1949). His sons Artur, Arnold and Rudolf escaped during the war to foreign country, Jaan and wife Riste were deported in 1949. After that until 1969 the farm wasthe officeof “Tormipoeg´s” collective farm. In 1970 the farm was sold to publication “Valgus,” whos workers have the main favours for retaining Vanatoa as it was. After Estonian regain independence the farm was returned to its legal owner Rudolf Schmuul (1921-2001) who found in Vanatoa a turism farm.
In 2007 it was sold to new owner. Today Vanato´s history is prodected and developed by OY Vanatoa turism farmstew.